Features of the Electronic Identity Document (eID)
Your electronic identity as a citizen or foreigner is on the smart card chip. The smart card present in your new National ID card will be dual interface – contact and contactless. Electronic identity documents can be used for many applications including:
- Proof of identity on the Internet
- Automated age verification
- Digital signatures
- Physical and Logical access
- Digital payments
- Storing Health Insurance information
The GhanaCard has different levels of security features that enable verification of its genuineness and that prevents duplication. Verification can be done in two ways; offline and online.
Using features of the card to verify that:
- The card is authentic.
- The card belongs to the holder (rightful owner).
Offline – No network connectivity required
Online – Involves connectivity with the national database to:
- Verify the person holding the card.
- Retrieve and cross-check additional information on the person.